Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Writer's Block

Elizabeth Black writes erotica, erotic romance, fantasy, dark fiction, and horror. She lives on the Massachusetts coast with her husband, son, and four cats. Check out her NNP novel "Don't Call Me Baby", a contemporary New Adult story set in the go-go 1980s. Details below.

-----

I've been wracking my brain for the past week trying to think of something to write about. Everything that crossed my mind I'd either written about before, or the topic bored me to tears. I've had that problem with a WIP I've been working on recently. It dragged, and I had a scorching case of writer's block, which I rarely get. So what caused it?

I realized I didn't like my story. So I flung it to the scrap heap (a. k. a. slush hell), and started over with another story. Now, I'm well on my way to finishing it.

I don't really believe in writer's block. There's usually a very good reason why I can't write something on the rare occasion that happens. Here are some things I do to squelch a bad case of ennui when it happens:

1. Walk on the beach. The clean ocean air clears my head.
2. Read something similar to what I want to write. Or better yet, read something in an entirely different genre.
3. Get out of the apartment. Half the time it isn't writer's block. It's cabin fever.
4. Watch a movie, preferably something scary with lots of tension and twists and turns.
5. Hang out with my husband. Getting outside my head helps to clear it.
6. Listen to some good music.
7. Bake.
8. Play in my garden.

I sometimes just need to reboot my brain when I can't seem to get anything down on paper. Sometimes I just don't feel like writing, and I don't fight it. For me, the mistake is fighting it. I let it slide since I always get back to it later. I welcome writer's block (or whatever I want to call it) because it usually means I need to get away from the computer for awhile.

In the meantime, check out my NNP novel "Don't Call Me Baby". Here's the dirt:



DON'T CALL ME BABY WEB SITE
http://elizabethablack.blogspot.com/p/dont-call-me-baby.html

INTERVIEWS

Night Owl Reviews
Authors By Authors

BUY LINKS

Naughty Nights Press



Smashwords



TOP PICK - NIGHT OWL REVIEWS
Hitherandthee at Night Owl Reviews:

Don’t Call Me Baby is a fast paced, very adventurous romantic novel that will take readers on a roller coaster ride of scorching romantic fun. The main character, Catherine, is a woman after my own heart. She is young and fiercely independent, and beyond gorgeous. She is not wealthy, but she wants to live the good life and is not afraid to go get it. She is also very sexually liberated, and in the 1980’s this was sometimes a good thing, and sometimes a not so good thing. The story is so blisteringly hot and steamy; it’s difficult to put down. It took me back to a better time, and a time I enjoyed much more. It is a novel I truly enjoyed reading, and will definitely be reading time and time again. It’s not for the faint of heart, but it’s also not to be missed.

So many men, so little time. Catherine has a long list of men that she sees on a regular basis, and at the top of the list (for the moment, anyway) is Brian. He’s one of her professors at Quincy, and a married man, but that’s never been a problem. But he’s so demanding! So maybe some time apart will be just the trick. A summer theater camp at another local college for local teens should make him realize that Catherine is not his possession, right? That is, until she gets to the camp and meets the other counselors. Ryan is gorgeous, and the rest? Well, what’s a girl on her own to do? Why, enjoy as many as she can! In the meantime, Catherine will come to grips with her mind and her heart, and will figure out what she really wants in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment