Friday, March 25, 2016

PSA: When Authors Judge Other Authors - When the green-eyed monster should simply shut up. #donotjudge #whatmakesyousospecial

When you forget how you got where you are today... Look back and realize you are all the same and just shut your trap.


You know, I sit on FB daily and watch multiple authors covers and ads and links go through my feed regularly...yes, sometimes to the point where it's getting a bit much...but I deal. Why? Cause I don't have to look. I can turn off my computer at any time, and seriously who the hell am I to rain on their parade, right? 
Everyone has the right to get excited about their releases and successes.

During these daily Facebook visits, I have also seen other authors complain about anything from "she's posting too much" to "if they'd at least post one link instead of a bunch" to " well, hell, at least post the retailer links or don't bother posting!"

It seems to me there is a hell of a double standard in this business and those who think nothing of screaming their own praises and success are the first to complain when others do it. 
We just can't win here. Someone is always gonna find issue with everything you do.

So, if I am to get this straight, a group of authors who happen to be doing quite well in a shared release, and are living off that excitement in the moment rather than food or sleep, and just happen to be sharing their success like everyone else does ALL THE DAMN TIME, are suddenly the brunt of the negative chitter chatter and gossiping instead of others congratulating them or even just wishing them well. Why the f*ck?


Now, for my opinion, cause just like an ass every one has one and I am entitled to mine, right? 

If your aren't as pure as the driven white snow, then shut your damn mouth and stop proving your jealousy. Stop showing how envious you are over a current author's success and chance at furthering their career when yours is in the tank because you're a negative Nellie.

It's no less spam when YOU do it either, so why they hell do these authors have to "just shut up"  or "just f*ing stop"? What gives YOU the right to dampen their spirits and bitch for doing the same damn thing every damn author does and PROMOTE their work?
Unless you can prove there is a better way than using social media outlets, newsletters, blogging, giveaways, and every other outlet in sight, and you can guarantee those authors won't negate all their hard work by going silent when it happens that YOUR feed is filled with their book instead of your own, then it's time for YOU to stop and think about how you got where you are today. 
I'm willing to bet it was the same damn way. Quit hating on others for doing the exact same thing in the hope of the exact same results! .
For the sake of your sanity why not just go write and get off FB if it's bugging you that much. Quit Judging. Quit shaming. Quit behaving in a manner that you would find upsetting if it were directed at you.
This world IS big enough for everyone and nothing gives anyone more right than another. Get on with your life and quit yer bitchin'!

This has been a PSA. *steps off soap box*
Now that I've gotten that off my chest, have a wonderful and blessed day. Enjoy your successes as they come, celebrate life and the good fortune of those around you. Enjoy it while it lasts. And one more time: Never forget where you, too, came from. Do not measure yourself at a level above the rest of mankind.

Thanks!

Oh! and PS: I have several new books out for the first time in a long time so if you'd like to know me, see how *I* tackle my world weaving and character development for a change, hit me up and grab a copy. I am thrilled to be back doing what I love and yet still having the humanity to run my trad pub and help other authors along the way. I am not so special that I will ignore those who helped me get where I am today. 
To all of you who've followed me through the decades...yes, decades...I adore you! New fans, I won't forget you either. YOU ROCK MY WORLD! 



#fedupwithdeoublestandards #quityourbitching #donotgossip #donotjudge #peopleinglasshousesshouldnotthrowstones


~ Lady Gina Kincade,
Author of Erotica and Erotic Paranormal Romance

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Gina. My green-eyed monster takes on a different, self-reflective form. It usually leaved the author in question with no idea that I'm coveting their success, their imagination, their damned good luck. Instead, I get self-destructive, which is probably worse. At least it doesn't stop them from enjoying their success!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your day is coming, chicklet. You know I won't stop until it does. *hugs*

      Delete